"Too many aps breaks wpa_supplicant"

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Mar 5 11:54:34 PST 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 06:21:13PM +0200, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> That should be new enough kernel version to allow nl80211 to be used. I
> would suggest a test with wpa_supplicant 0.7.1 and -Dnl80211. If that
> fails, please let me know and we'll figure out how to fix that one way
> or another to avoid getting stuck with failed scan results fetching.

Based on a quick test with 2000 APs in scan results, the nl80211 part
for this seemed to be able to handle the results, but the default BSS
table limit (200) inside wpa_supplicant will likely end up dropping
needed information. I made this limit now configurable
(bss_max_count=<limit>) which should allow wpa_supplicant to be used
even with huge number of APs in the scan results (assuming you don't
care about memory use).

As an optional mechanism, I also added a configuration item for
filtering scan results to only include the BSSes that have an SSID
matching with one of the configured networks. This can be enabled with
filter_ssids=1 in wpa_supplicant.conf.

Both of these alternatives seemed to be able to complete association
with -Dnl80211 in a test with 2000 APs. The changes are available in
the development tree (0.7.x) git repository.