WPS with many WPS enabled APs

Patrik Lahti plahti
Thu Jun 17 12:20:34 PDT 2010

Hi,

I've been trying out WPS PIN with wpa_supplicant-0.6.10 and it's quite
nice, thanks for supporting this convenient way of configuring wifi
security!!

One thing that I'm wondering about is: It seems that wpa_supplicant
takes scan results and attempts to do the WPS exchange with APs with
"[WPS]" in the scan results in the order they appear. I.e. it'll attempt
the first WPS AP a few times, and if that fails it'll move on the next
WPS AP, and so on...

The potential problem is that when there are many APs with announcing
[WPS] it may take a while to get to the actual AP which I've punched in
the PIN number into, and so it might time out... My AP (most APs?) time
out the WPS PIN operation after 120sec, so depending on how long each
attempt takes, there is a limit on the number of WPS APs that can be
ahead of the relevant AP in the scan results.

Is this just a known limitation of WPS? Is this the fault of the driver
presenting the scan results in the wrong way? Or not presenting
up-to-date scan results as expected by wpa_supplicant? Or is there an
improvement to wpa_supplicants scanning algorithm that's possible?

Cheers!
/P