Not remove interface when wpa_supplicant shuts down

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Jun 9 11:10:58 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 12:05:08PM +0100, Panagiotis Georgopoulos wrote:
> 	Just wanted to clarify though, if I kill wpa_supplicant, is there
> something that is not cleaned gracefully? Would I have any problems if I
> re-execute it after I kill it? It seems that functionally it reruns fine,
> but I am thinking more of resources...

Well, the "kill -KILL <pid>" is meant to not clean gracefully.. ;-)
wpa_supplicant should be able to handle when it is started again.

> 	On a related note, why when I run hostapd, it creates a mon.wlan1
> interface in addition to wlan1? I see something like the following when I
> run hostapd :

mon.wlan# is used to receive and send various management frames (and
EAPOL frames) in AP mode.

> 	This again creates many problems in the debugging because each
> handler interface sees a subset of the traffic that AP experiences and it is
> very difficult to debug this.. (For more information on this please see my
> http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2010-June/021487.html )

If you want to receive more frames, you better add your own monitor
interface and not use something created by hostapd because you have
different needs for the interface. Just do something like "iw dev wlan0
interface add mon0 type monitor; ifconfig mon0 up" and use mon0 with the
sniffer.