TL-WN721N in AP Mode

Stancho stancho
Fri Jul 16 14:35:31 PDT 2010

Hello everybody,

I have a server with Fedora 12 and I want to use it as access point.

I bought USB Wi-fi TP-LINK TL-WN721N and installed
compat-wireless-2010-03-19_with-ath9k_htc-support.tar.bz2.tar drivers.
My wi-fi was identified successfully but I was not able to set it in ap mode
(mode master).
I found a patch for these drivers here
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=127676682202251&w=3 but no success
after pathing it.

So I installed hostapd. I built the latest dev release
(hostapd-0.7.2.tar.gz).
The driver is "nl80211". hostapd is started successfully. But I have issues
when I search for the AP.
Sometimes it is found, sometimes it is not, but I am not able to connect it.
I started hostapd in debug mode (-dd) and
when I searched for the AP (from my notebook) hostapd logged:
"Could not parse ProbeReq from xx:xx... (mac address)"
This is logged many times (maybe on every packet received).

This debug is found in src/ap/beacon.c.

    if (ieee802_11_parse_elems(ie, ie_len, &elems, 0) == ParseFailed) {
        wpa_printf(MSG_DEBUG, "Could not parse ProbeReq from " MACSTR,
               MAC2STR(mgmt->sa));
        return;
    }

ieee802_11_parse_elems(..) function is found in
src/common/ieee802_11_common.c.

I saw that the the problem is here:

        if (elen > left) {
            if (show_errors) {
                wpa_printf(MSG_DEBUG, "IEEE 802.11 element "
                       "parse failed (id=%d elen=%d "
                       "left=%lu)",
                       id, elen, (unsigned long) left);
                wpa_hexdump(MSG_MSGDUMP, "IEs", start, len);
            }
            return ParseFailed;
        }

Just for a test I changed "return ParseFailed" with "return ParseOK" and ..,
I was able to
connect to the AP and even I had an internet connection :)
But.. too many packet losses. Still there is a problem :(

I read that the wi-fi model is supported  but... I don't know...

Do you have any idea where is the problem with my wi-fi modul?
Can I use it in AP mode?

Thanks and Regards,
Stanislav