nl80211 driver problem

Alan Jachimiak aljachimiak
Fri Jul 16 09:29:40 PDT 2010

Hello:

See below for output of debug (-d and -dd)

[root at Joshiba ajachimiak]# hostapd -d /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
ctrl_interface_group=10 (from group name 'wheel')

ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
Could not read interface flags ()
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
: Unable to setup interface.

rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
[root at Joshiba ajachimiak]# hostapd -dd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
ctrl_interface_group=10 (from group name 'wheel')

ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
Could not read interface flags ()
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
: Unable to setup interface.

rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory

I wouldn't mind attempting to compile something, but hopefully we could
identify the problem before attmpting other actions that may not resolve the
problem.

Two questions:

I have gone to network manager and disabled wireless.  Is there another way
to make sure it isn't using the card?

Is using b43 part of the problem?  Perhaps you could give me instructions on
how to unload that driver and load a different one "nl80211"?

FYI - I don't know how to compile then install...  I'll try, but I'll need
very specific instructions and code to type in.

Thanks,

Al