not able to connect to local wireless with wpa_supplicant

Mike Edenfield kutulu
Wed Feb 17 06:18:15 PST 2010

On 2/17/2010 6:42 AM, Johannes Schauer wrote:

> hello list
>
> i'm running debian stable and recently compiled wpa_supplicant 0.7.1.
> network controller is Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
> kernel 2.6.30 using wext

What kind of access point do you have at home (the non-working one)?

I had a similar problem with my 3945, and it turned out to be a bad
interaction between the Intel card, the Intel driver, and the AP hardware.

I fixed it by adding the "disable_hw_scan=1" option when the module
loaded.  I'm pretty sure Debian uses the modprobe.d style configuration,
so you just need to create a file with contents like this:

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/network.conf
alias wlan0 iwl3945
options iwl3945 disable_hw_scan=1

and unload/reload the module.