Different county_code config in hostapd and wpa_supplicant

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Dec 17 05:13:14 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:44:06AM +0100, Dennis Borgmann wrote:
> Configuring country code is done in hostapd.conf this way:
>
> country=US
>
> while in wpa_supplicant.conf it is done this way:
>
> country_code=US

Well, the other way around, but yes, different.

> Is this done by intention or shouldn't it be the same in both the two
> configurations?

There is no particular reason for it being different string, but it
should be kept in mind that the configuration files for hostapd and
wpa_supplicant are quite different and there are many fields that differ
from each other.

> Just a thought of mine, since I was searching for this error for maybe
> 30 minutes, which I could have saved. The way it is now seems to be a
> little confusing to me.

How and where were you searching? hostapd should provide quite clear
pointer on the error:

Line 10: unknown configuration item 'country'

and so does wpa_supplicant:

Line 1: unknown global field 'country_code=US'.
Line 1: Invalid configuration line 'country_code=US'.