EAPOL wired clients

Panagiotis Georgopoulos panos
Mon Dec 6 16:26:12 PST 2010

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Panagiotis Georgopoulos
> <panos at comp.lancs.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Hello all,
>
> Hi Panagiotis!

Hello Bjorn,

	Thanks for your reply...

> > b)????? Can I use the internal RADIUS auth server for both wired and
> > wireless clients at the same time with two instances of hostapd? How?
>
> Perhaps you could set up one hostapd to serve as the RADIUS server and
> the other as a client to that server?

	That's an interesting idea, I'll try it and see how it goes.
However, it seems that I have a more fundamental problem as authenticating
just wired clients doesn't work currently on my setup.

	I get an EAPOL start packet, then Request-Identity, then
Response-Identity and instead of progressing the authentication I then keep
seeing Request-Identity and Response-Identity packets continuously (in a
loop)...

	Any ideas why this is happening?

> If you plan to bridge the wireless and wired clients (to one bridge
> interface) then you might run into a problem where multiple hostapd
> instances get each others EAPOL frames and get confused:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.hostap/22265. I've got a
> patch that fixes that. It's a bit too crude for submission (still
> hoping for some feedback on the above email), but it works. Let me
> know if you need it.

That's good to know, thanks, although for now I am not thinking of bridging
wireless and wired clients. I am trying to get a simple configuration to
work with wired clients and then see if bridging is needed.

Cheers,
Panos