Accounting info when using the internal hostapd's RADIUS functionality

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Dec 2 18:31:12 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 11:28:05AM -0000, Panagiotis Georgopoulos wrote:
>                 When I use hostapd's internal RADIUS server functionality,
> is there any way to do accounting?

No, the internal server is only RADIUS Authentication server; it does
not support RADIUS Accounting server functionality.

> As far as I can tell from the archives of the list, hostapd does not store
> accounting information. Is there any add-on or other application that could
> store those? If not, what would be the easiest way to implement that
> (code-wise), ie. what source files should I start looking into ?

In what kind of use case would you need this? My assumption has been
that if someone needs RADIUS Accounting, they will most likely be using
an external RADIUS server anyway.. Were you only thinking of this as a
backup step when the AP does not have access to the external server?
Would there be any useful service from that AP in general? And would the
locally stored accounting records be pushed out to the external server
whenever it becomes accessible again? I would have assumed the
accounting server would be somewhere in the local network..

I'm not sure I fully understand the use case here, but if you believe
adding RADIUS Accounting functionality in hostapd is the best way of
doing that, the place to implement this would be in
src/radius/radius_server.c.