Hostapd does not support 5Ghz config, but my card does

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx
Thu Aug 19 12:59:48 PDT 2010

  On 8/18/10 2:29 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>    On 5/19/10 2:18 PM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
>> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 04:01:49PM +0200, Laurent B wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having problems setting up hostapd 0.7.2 in order to run 5ghz band in N
>>> mode
>> hostapd itself would be fine with 5 GHz configuration, but the driver
>> does not allow it to be used for AP mode and hostapd will follow
>> whatever the driver tells it in this context.
> I'm seeing exactly the same issue, with the same card.
>
> I'm running Fedora updated (2.6.33.6).
>
> What's the workaround?  Running the card in "hw_mode=b"?
>
> Thanks.

Using "hw_mode=b" didn't seem to make a difference (I was using channel=11 anyway).

I installed compat-wireless-2010-08-19 and this problem went away, but two others appeared instead.

Seeing warnings that "Illegal nla->nla_type == 0" in both "iw list" and when starting hostapd, and hostapd sees "Unknown event 5".

-Philip