Hostapd with WPA(1/2): Station cannot send packets to access point

Bertold Van den Bergh vandenbergh
Fri Aug 13 09:08:52 PDT 2010

Hello,

I am trying to set up an accesspoint using hostapd. The wireless device is
made by ralink, rt73usb driver (latest compat wireless did not fix problem).

Uname -a:
Linux aphrodite 2.6.31-22-generic #60-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 27 00:22:23 UTC
2010 i686 GNU/Linux

When I set up a network using hostapd stations see the network, and can
connect properly. If WPA (1 or 2, PSK or EAP, TKIP or CCMP) is enabled the
stations see traffic sent from the AP to them, but the AP does not see any
traffic send by a station. Using WEP or no encryption works perfectly and
very stable. I tried the latest development version of hostapd (0.7.2)

It am trying to bridge the wireless interface to a lan network, but the
problem also occurs without the bridging.

My hostapd conf (without the comments):
interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
ssid=TEST
hw_mode=g
channel=1
beacon_int=100
dtim_period=2
max_num_sta=255
rts_threshold=2347
fragm_threshold=2346
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=3
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wme_enabled=0
ap_max_inactivity=300
ieee8021x=0
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=Test1234
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP

I tried to connect to this setup using a netbook with ath9k wireless and wpa
supplicant and a windows mobile phone. Both devices can see AP->STA but
can't send anything to the AP. Running tcpdump on the AP shows only EAPOL
packets. (Both broadcast and single-cast packets get dropped)

Running the same config on an atheros based wifi device (using ath9k, not
madwifi) does not work either (Sta can send to AP, but cant see things
transmitted by the ap, the opposite of the problem above).

Thank you