issue with multiple bss on 1 physical interface

Michael Voorhaen michael.voorhaen
Thu Apr 29 10:43:36 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to run several APs on 1 interface and I'm always having some trouble connecting to the second AP created. The idea would be to have each AP connected to a different bridge (this is possible right?).

I'm using 2.6.32 and hostapd-git for my tests.

I've tried the following configurations:

1. separate hostapd.conf files for each AP started with:

hostapd /etc/hostapd.conf /etc/hostapd.vap1.conf

/etc/hostapd.conf

interface=wlan1
bridge=br0
driver=nl80211
auth_algs=3
debug=0
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
beacon_int=100
max_num_sta=255
hw_mode=g
channel=1
ssid=test

/etc/hostapd.vap1.conf

interface=vap1
bridge=br1
driver=nl80211
auth_algs=3
debug=0
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
beacon_int=100
max_num_sta=255
hw_mode=g
channel=1
ssid=nl80211vap1

This results in both access points becoming visible when I scan on another device, but I'm unable to connect to the one configured in the second file (both are open btw).

Both wireless interfaces are added to their respective bridge interface automatically.

2. Define an additional bss in hostapd.conf.

This has the same behavior, only the second AP is never added to the configured bridge. I used the following config file for this.

interface=wlan1
bridge=br0
driver=nl80211
auth_algs=3
debug=0
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
beacon_int=100
max_num_sta=255
hw_mode=g
channel=1
ssid=test
bss=vap1
bridge=br1
#bssid=00:80:48:53:00:40
ssid=vap1

3. Running the APs on two different physical interfaces worked just fine.

Any ideas? I noticed from the git commit messages that there were some recent changes to the multi-BSS parts, could this be causing my problems?

Best regards,
Michael

IBBT - PATS research group
Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Sciences
University of Antwerp
Campus Middelheim, G3.30
Middelheimlaan 1
B-2020 Antwerpen, Belgium