[patch] hostapd does not update WPA IE in driver on reconfiguration

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Apr 6 10:47:40 PDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 03:40:34PM +0200, Andriy Tkachuk wrote:
> While trying to configure AP with external registrar I noticed that
> hostapd does not update WPA IE in driver on reconfiguration. Indeed, if
> changing security options in hostapd.conf manually and then send HUP
> signal to hostapd - it won't  update WPA IE in driver, as result, the
> change won't affect security settings in beacons (and probe responses as
> well). I detected the problem on 0.6.10 version, but it looks like
> latest 0.7 version also suffers from this.

The Beacon and Probe Response frames do get updated with some drivers
(e.g., nl80211), but it did not seem to work for the case of WPA/RSN
parameters being changed or WPA/RSN being disabled when the driver
wrapper uses set_generic_elem() instead of set_beacon().

> The following patch solved the problem for me:

Thanks! I applied a bit modified version that will also take care of
removing WPA/RSN IE when needed.