win ce station roam issue w/ RADIUS authentication

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Sep 26 09:38:56 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 09:25:59AM -0600, alan wrote:

> We are using 5 access points in a yard with mobile clients that connect
> with RADIUS authentication.  There are periods where the roaming among
> the access points works fine and then at times the client will try
> roaming to a new access point and the authentication will time out.
> Then the client will try to roam to a different access point rather
> than the closest one with a better signal.  Attached is the log from
> hostapd during the situation where it will not authenticate.

As far as hostapd is concerned, everything seems to be working
otherwise, but the supplicant stops replying to EAPOL messages during
the authentication. There is not much that can be done in the
authenticator in such a case. You would need to take a look at the
client (supplicant) log and/or use a wireless sniffer to capture the
frames exchanged between the devices.