[PATH 0/2] Make driver_nl80211 really work

Maxim Levitsky maximlevitsky
Fri Oct 30 15:33:02 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 23:49 +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I seem to find proper fixes for problem with driver_nl80211.
> Despite workaround in wpa_supplicant that sends deauth when auth command
> fails, this driver still doesn't work.
>
> Problem is that scanning is not allowed in authenticated but not
> associated state. I was told that this is feature, but afterwards I
> understood that it is legal for wpa_supplicant not to use deauthenticate
> command.
>
> In the other hand mac80211 holds a work list of things todo that include
> pings, associations, authentications, etc...
>
> Following the code it seems that this list is set to hold forever
> entries that belong to associated but not authenticated access points.
> For example ieee80211_mgd_deauth will fail if this condition isn't true.
>
> So I modified __ieee80211_start_scan to work even if work list isn't
> empty but all entries are idle.
>
> As for second problem, the lack of ability to do authentication to
> access point twice, I modified nl80211 by 'roughly' removing the check
> for this condition, treating new request as if ap was never
> authenticated. This seems to work very well.
>

> Best regards,
> Maxim Levitsky

However, even with these patches, I found test case when it doesn't
work.
If I connect to different APs, then driver_nl80211 doesn't send deauth
at all.

On the other hand, nl80211/cfg80211 keeps track of all auth bsses, in
list that has 4 entries. As soon as this list is full, its not possible
to connect to a different AP.

Mess isn't it?

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky