Hostapd bridge problem using nl80211

Daniel Rönnqvist kdronnqvist
Tue Oct 13 00:07:44 PDT 2009

Hello,

when I add wlan0 to a bridge (br0) it stops working as an AP. I do a
trace on the wlan0 interface when running bridged and see the EAPOL
key messages from my wifi-client but no answer from the AP. The client
stays connected for a few seconds and then disconnects.

I'm running kernel 2.6.31.3 on a PPC Mac. My wifi nic is Broadcom
bcm4306 rev 3 and I'm running the b43 module from Debian testing.

- - - -
I compiled hostapd from git with config:

CONFIG_DRIVER_HOSTAP=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y
CONFIG_EAP=y
CONFIG_EAP_MD5=y
CONFIG_EAP_TLS=y
CONFIG_EAP_MSCHAPV2=y
CONFIG_EAP_PEAP=y
CONFIG_EAP_GTC=y
CONFIG_EAP_TTLS=y

- - - -
hostapd outputs something like:

resetting beacon at 0x68
client authenticated
client deathenticated by request of hostapd

- - - -
Running 'tshark -i wlan0' during client auth outputs:

 38.060138 IntelCor_d3:29:bf -> AppleCom_a2:7e:cc EAPOL Key
 41.196782 IntelCor_d3:29:bf -> Broadcast    XID Basic Format; Type 1
LLC (Class I LLC); Window Size 0

The last message (Broadcast XID) is repeated a while and then I ses
another EAPOL.

- - - -
My hostapd.conf:

interface=wlan0