userspace_mlme for kernel 2.6.29 and wpa_supplicant-0.6.9

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Mar 27 04:57:47 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 04:26:08AM -0700, Ahmad Ali Tabassam wrote:

> My problem is, I want to use the latest
> hostapd-0.6.9, and wpa_supplicant-0.6.9 because the bug 303 ?802.11r
> KDF function 'i' iteration count should be initialized to 1? is
> resolved. But it has broken interoperability with previous version.

hostapd 0.6.9 should be fine with 2.6.29, but the client side 802.11r
functionality will be done differently.

> Previously I was using kernel 2.6.27
> with two extra patches, vif_conf.patch and
> userspace_mlme_allow_bssid_mismatch.patch for 802.11r userspace MLME
> implementation. But these two patches can't be applied on new kernel
> 2.6.29 and the site w1.fi/wireless-testing/ is  also down. I can't
> download these patches for new kernel 2.6.29.  How I can get them for
> new kernel 2.6.29.

The mechanism proposed in those patches has been replaced with a new
design to allow more control on the authentication and association
process. This allows 802.11r to be used without requiring full userspace
MLME and as such, I have dropped the vif_conf.patch and
userspace_mlme_allow_bssid_mismatch.patch and do not have plans on
updating them anymore.

The new nl80211 commands are not yet included in 2.6.29, but they may
get into 2.6.30. In the meanwhile, you should be able to get the current
snapshot of wireless-testing.git tree and hostapd/wpa_supplicant
development snapshot and use them without requiring any additional
patches.