Hostapd and ath9k - AP not working

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 24 13:27:10 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:34:43PM -0700, Helena Zhang wrote:
> iw list output:

Thanks, this looked fine.

> hostapd didn't produce any dmesg output, even when I use -dd. Is there
> another way to produce more debugging?

Would it be possible for you to test this with Linux 2.6.29 or even
better, wireless-testing.git? For an easier test, could you please try
running "iw dev wlan0 set freq 2412" after having tried starting
hostapd? That could provide more useful error message for the failed
channel configuration.

By the way, which version of hostapd are you using? I do not remember
any changes that should affect the initial channel configuration, but
anyway, the best policy is to run a test with the latest release and/or
development branch snapshot.

Do you have CRDA installed on the device? Which Atheros WLAN card are
you using? As far as getting more debug out from the driver is
concerned, please take a look at "Enabling debug" on the following page:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k

It would probably be useful to enable both ATH_DBG_CHANNEL and
ATH_DBG_REGULATORY for this particular issue (and maybe add
ATH_DBG_CONFIG, too). This would hopefully show something in dmesg
output when hostapd is started. Though, it is still possible that the
issue happens in mac80211, in which case the driver debug may not
actually show much.