wpa_supplicant fails for WPS mode

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 24 12:37:30 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:02:47AM -0700, Jagadish Murugan wrote:
> Hi,  I observed the following behaviour when using a NETGEAR WN111v2
> Wireless USB adapter:
>
> Using Netgear's Smart Wizard, i could connect to an Access Point in WPS
> mode.
>
> But I was not able to connect to the Access Point in WPS mode using
> wpa_supplicant & wpa_gui. I get "Authentication with "BSSID of Access Point"
> timed out"??

The vendor specific tool may use some custom interface to communicate
with the driver. It would be useful to see debug log from wpa_supplicant
(run the non-service version manually with -dd on the command line or
use service version with debugging to file enabled) showing what exactly
happens. Anyway, this may not provide much help with this type of issue.

I have not seen this type of issues with the NDIS drivers I've tested
with, but I don't think I've tested this with any Broadcom-based cards
(I would assume the Dell 1395 you mentioned earlier uses Broadcom
chipset) nor with Netgear WN111v2. I think the Network USB card is based
on Atheros AR9170 which I do have (but have only used on Linux so far),
so I should be able to try to reproduce this with that card.