pre-authentication when using wpa2-psk

zh f fzhdata
Sun Mar 22 19:59:09 PDT 2009

hi,
    I  want to optimize roaming process for marvell wifi card. And it's
seems that 4-way handshake takes about 30-200 ms  and it is too long for
voip service. So I want to enable pre-authentication, but it is seems that
wpa_supplicant can't do this when using WPA2-PSK. is pre-authentication
only  for ieee802.1x key management?

  for following code which in function rsn_preauth_candidate_process , it's
return when the key_mgmt is not ieee8021x. but for wpa2-psk ,the key_mgmt is
WPA_KEY_MGMT_PSK not WPA_KEY_MGMT_IEEE8021X. is it correct? does this means
that can't do pre-auth when using wpa2-psk?
  thanks

   wpa_msg(wpa_s, MSG_DEBUG, "RSN: processing PMKSA candidate list");
    if (wpa_s->preauth_eapol ||
        wpa_s->proto != WPA_PROTO_RSN ||
        wpa_s->wpa_state != WPA_COMPLETED ||
        wpa_s->key_mgmt != WPA_KEY_MGMT_IEEE8021X) {
        wpa_msg(wpa_s, MSG_DEBUG, "RSN: not in suitable state for new "
            "pre-authentication");
        return; /* invalid state for new pre-auth */
    }