madwifi channel

sergio hostapd
Sun Mar 22 07:58:33 PDT 2009

Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:14:13PM +0300, sergio wrote:
>
>> But why hostapd's channel setting depends on driver?
>
> It depends on what has been seen important to configure by whoever
> writes a driver wrapper for hostapd. In case of madwifi, I would assume
> most people are controlling the channel and many other 802.11 values
> directly with the driver while with mac80211-based drivers these are set
> through hostapd.

New (0.6.8) hostapd supports mac80211 !?
Excuse me, i don't know about it.
And it's possible to set channel via mac80211 driver?

Madwifi (ath_pci) don't depend on mac80211 neither ieee80211, but
iwconfig can set some parameters for this driver. And iwconfig don't
know about madwifi. This happens via wext?

wpasupplicant can set channel for ath_pci.
Why hostapd don't use wext (for example, libiw from wireless-tools)?

--
sergio