wpa_supplicant doesn't reconnect to AP (after turning off/on AP)

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 3 11:02:43 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:08:23AM +0700, Pongsak Tawankanjanachot wrote:

>    I'm using wpa_supplicant (with Ralink chipset) to connect with Access
> point (Ralink chipset).
>    My security setting is WPA2 by using freeradius as a Radius server.

Have you tried this with WPA (which would disable PMKSA caching)?

>    Firstly, the supplicant successfully connects to AP (access point)
>    Then, I turn off/on the AP, wpa_supplicant tries to reauthenticate and
> show debug message like: (just some part of whole messages)

> Associated with 00:1d:7d:09:51:74
> WPA: Association event - clear replay counter
> Authentication with 00:1d:7d:09:51:74 timed out.

It looks like the driver is able to associate with the AP, but no EAPOL
frames are delivered to wpa_supplicant. This would requiring debugging
the driver and/or the AP. A good starting step would be to use a
wireless sniffer to capture the frames sent between the devices and see
where the AP is sending out EAPOL-Key messages after association.