Unable to connect wpa_supplicant with EAP

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Jun 29 10:21:40 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:22:55AM -0500, Michael Kurecka wrote:
> I was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me figure out why I'm
> unable to connect to an access point via wpa_supplicant. I got a COTS client
> to work to verify the AP. Works with PSK. The radius log indicates success
> but the wpas logs do not. My conf file is as such and log file attached:
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_ supplicant

Your configuration file enables all EAP methods and the method
negotiation ends up using EAP-MSCHAPv2 (kind of silly for the server to
allow this, but well, anyway). This is not a good choice for generating
PMK for 4-way handshake and you should add eap=PEAP into the network
block if you are trying to use PEAP. In addition, unless you are
absolutely sure that the authentication server is using the new PEAP
label, I would suggest removing phase1="peaplabel=1" because it is
likely going to end up breaking the connection once you resolve the
first issue.