New wpa_supplicand dbus API proposal

Dan Williams dcbw
Tue Jun 16 13:19:24 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 00:08 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Witold,
>
> > Here is second proposal of new DBus API build basing of our earlier
> > e-mail correspondence, Marcel's remarks and arrangement I made with Dan
> > on #wireless.
> > I will start to implement this in next week. Request for comments.
> >
> > Service Name: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1
> >
> > O: /fi/w1/wpa_supplicant1
> > I : fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1
> >
> > M: CreateInterface(args a{sv}) -> path o
> >    args: Ifname -> s
> >          Driver -> s
> >          Bridge-ifname -> s
> >          Level -> u
> >          Timestamp -> b
> >          Show_keys -> b
>
> can we add an Ifindex -> u here. So you can optionally give the
> interface index or the name. Could be useful in some cases where
> everything is based around the ifindex anyway.

That's reasonable; device names aren't stable but ifindexes are (while
the machine is up of course).

> [...]
> >            Channels -> a(uu)  array of (center freq in KHz, width)
> >
> > E: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.ScanDenied
> >    fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.ScanError
> >    fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.InvalidArgs
> >
> > M: Disconnect
> > E: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.NotConnected
> >
> > M: AddNetwork (args a{sv}) -> o
> >      args: <dict of network properties, see
> > fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.Network>
> >
> > M: RemoveNetwork (path o)
> > E: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.NetworkUnknown
> >
> > M: SelectNetwork (path o)
> > E: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.NetworkUnknown
> >
> > M: AddBlob (name s, data ay) -> o
> > E: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.BlobExists
> > E: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.UnknownError
> >
> > M: RemoveBlob (path o)
> > E: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.BlobUnknown
> >
> > S: PropertiesChanged -> properties a{sv}
> > S: ScanDone -> success b
> > S: StateChanged -> new_state s, old_state s
> > S: BssAdded -> path o
> > S: BssRemoved -> path o
> > S: BlobAdded -> path o
> > S: BlobRemoved -> path o
> >
> > There were missing these signals in original Dan's proposal:
> > S: NetworkAdded, -> path o
> > S: NetworkRemoved -> path o
> > S: NetworkSelected -> path o

> > O: /fi/w1.wpa_supplicant1/Interfaces/<interface_number>
> > I: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.WPS
> >
> > M: Start (args a{sv}) -> a{sv}
> >      args: Role -> s         [enrollee, registrar]
> >            Type -> a         [pin, pbc]
> >            Bssid -> ay       (optional)
> >            Pin -> s          (optional)
> >      Returns:
> >            Pin -> s          (autogenerated PIN if not specified in args)
> > P: Credentials (read-only) -> a{sv}
> >      BSSID -> ay
> >      SSID -> ay
> >      AuthType -> as                       [open, shared, wpa-psk,
> > wpa-eap, wpa2-eap, wpa2-psk]
> >      EncrType -> as                       [none, wep, tkip, aes]
> >      Key -> ay                            byte-array of key data
> >      KeyIndex -> u
> > P: ProcessCredentials (read/write) -> b   (TRUE ==
> > wps_cred_processing=2, FALSE == wps_cred_processing=1)
> > S: PropertiesChanged -> a{sv}
> > S: Event -> name s, args a{sv}

> > O:
> > /fi/w1.wpa_supplicant1/Interfaces/<interface_number>/Networks/<network_number>
> > I: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.Network
> >
> > P: Enabled (read/write) -> b
> > P: <wpa_supplicant network block properties> (read/write) -> a{sv}
> >      - Most properties can be set as strings, but can also be set
> >        as a byte array if necessary (SSID, BSSID, PSK, etc).  Supplicant
> >        can autoconvert like it does right now.
> >
> > S: PropertiesChanged -> a{sv}
>
> So what is the difference between Enabled and SelectNetwork() call. This
> differentiation confused the hell out of me already with the current
> code. Why do we bother here at all.
>
> Lets just use SelectNetwork() to switch between networks and forget
> about Enabled stuff. If some network should not be in the list, then

If we were to just use SelectNetwork(), how would we completely
disconnect the supplicant and tell it to stop doing anything?  We could
make SelectNetwork with a blank object path do that for us.

BTW, enabled/disabled is what allows the supplicant to make the roaming
decisions for us, so while it doesn't get used by NM right *now*, maybe
we want to push that sort of thing to the supplicant in the future.
Currently NM only enables one network at a time.

Dan