Encryption key turns to off after some time of use with wpa_supplicant

thomas.eriksson at hushmail.com thomas.eriksson
Wed Jan 21 23:39:44 PST 2009

Hi

We are using Ubuntu 7.10 with wpa_supplicant and ndiswrapper 1.53.
The wireless network on our HP Compaq nx7300 laptops connects just
fine to a Cisco access point, but after some time of use, like 30
minutes, encryption key turns to "off" according to iwconfig and
the network is lost.

Our wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:

eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
network={
        ssid="network_name"
        scan_ssid=1
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        eap=PEAP
        phase2="autheap=MSCHAPV2"
        anonymous_identity="uid at our.dept"
        identity="our-dept-wavelanxx/ppp"
        password="xxxxxxxxxx"
        priority=10
        ca_cert="/etc/ssl/pcacert.crt"
}

When the network is working iwconfig says:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"network_name"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point:
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:14 dBm
          RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
          Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
Security mode:restricted
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:50/100  Signal level:-64 dBm  Noise level:-
96 dBm

When the network is lost the line with "Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-
..." turns to "Encryption key:off".

When the network is working "arp -n" says:

Address                  HWtype  HWaddress           Flags Mask
Iface
WW.XX.YY.ZZ              ether   FF:EE:DD:CC:BB:AA   C wlan0

When the network is lost "arp -n" says:

Address                  HWtype  HWaddress           Flags Mask
Iface
WW.XX.YY.ZZ                     (incomplete) wlan0

Thanks for any input of what might be wrong here!

--
Thinking of becoming a counselor?  Click here to compare tuition rates.
 http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/PnY6qxultkx6ICh5d7b3B0wsXT2xMVHTd2ZZnFU97kDTW4RIk1Yqx/