Ath9k, AR9160, Openwrt and 5 ghz

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Feb 14 07:17:20 PST 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 01:30:17PM +0100, simone pascucci wrote:

> I'm running the configuration as in the title. I'm trying to set up a
> 5 ghz N mode access point, but hostapd fails with the following error

> Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=1 freq=2412 MHz max_tx_power=20 dBm
> Allowed channel: mode=0 chan=11 freq=2462 MHz max_tx_power=20 dBm
> wlan0: IEEE 802.11 Configured channel (44) not found from the channel
> list of current mode (2) IEEE 802.11a
> wlan0: IEEE 802.11 Hardware does not support configured channel

> I'm trying to read the source code, but it's quite long and, if
> possible, maybe someone could address me on the source of the error.

The driver did not report support for the channel you tried to use.

> Hostapd seems to behave as expected, as it recognize correctly the 44
> channel (which I selected) and associate it to the 802.11a mode. The
> problem is that something is returning a list of channels from the 2.4
> spectrum, and hostapd stops because the channel 44 is not between
> them.

That list of supported channels includes all bands. The driver you used
did not return any channels on 5 GHz. If you have CRDA installed, you
could try to configure your country code in order to enable some
additional channels. However, as far as AP mode is concerned, ath9k will
likely refuse to allow the 5 GHz channels to be used unless the card has
been hardcoded for a specific country (most cards are not).