Can't obtain DHCP address

Dmitry Baryshev ksquirrel.iv
Mon Feb 9 07:12:15 PST 2009

2009/2/8, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi>:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 05:55:26PM -0500, Dmitry Baryshev wrote:
>
>  > I have a D-Link WBR-2310 wireless router, it is configured to use
>  > WPA+TKIP+"Personal". Before I should say that WEP security mode works
>  > fine, DHCP works well, but WPA doesn't. I configure router to have
>  > SSID="dima" and password "12345678". I have the following config for
>  > wpa_supplicant:
>

> Which WLAN card and driver are you using in the client?

Don't know exactly, but wifi is served by "vntwusb" kernel module.

>  > # wpa_supplicant -Dwext -B -u -c ~/.config/supplicant.conf -i eth1
>  > -P/tmp/wpa_supplicant/pid
>

> Could you please run this in foreground and with debugging enabled
>  (replace -B with -dd on the command line) and send the debug output?

I pasted log here:

http://pastebin.com/f10d96825

config file for wpa_supplicant now is:

ctrl_interface=/tmp/wpa_supplicant

network={
        ssid="dima"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        #psk=251bdf8dae035c415fa63a77bd568be598545e05e7dd132bde0e136cb5f341d1
        psk="12345678"
}

>  > My kernel is 2.6.26, wpa_supplicant is 0.5.10. Static IP seems to work
>  > for this security type, but DHCP doesn't. Why? Thanks.
>

> What do you mean with static IP working? Can you use the connection fine
>  just by setting the IP address manually? Have you checked whether the
>  client is able to receive broadcast packets? I would assume your DHCP
>  server is replying with broadcast frames and the client may fail to
>  receive them.

It seems that ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.103 can assign IP address, but
the interface still doesn't work, "route add default gw 192.168.0.1
dev eth1" says that network is unreachable. My DHCP client is udhcpc
from busybox 1.7.2 (udhcpc from Debian Lenny doesn't work too). By the
way, DHCP from the same router but for Ethernet card works fine.

I strace-d udhcpc, and it seems that udhcpc sends DHCP broadcast
packets, but cannot recieve any answer. (With WEP security type
configured on router, DHCP works!).

Thanks.