wpa_supplicant on MS Windows Vista/7

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Dec 16 09:46:08 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 07:14:47PM +0530, paul peterson wrote:
> Do we have wpa_supplicant running on MS Windows Vista or 7 ?

It might work with old NDIS 5 -based drivers and maybe with wired
interfaces, but does not work with NDIS 6 WLAN drivers.

> Is it possible to port existing Windows(XP) code to Vista or 7 using Native
> wifi APIs provided by MS on these systems?

Microsoft seems to be making this very difficult by having a new kernel
component that blocks some of the needed driver operations from being
actually passed to the driver. Someone would need to figure out how to
bypass this control or reverse engineer some undocumented interfaces,
etc. It looks like this is going to be quite a bit of work and I have no
interest in wasting my time on that front since the OS is clearly not
defined to support this type of generic supplicant applications that
would not be bound to a specific driver.