MFP: How to generate frame with MMIE

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Dec 10 02:52:05 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 06:26:39PM +0900, Masashi Honma wrote:
> I'm developping MFP station. I want to test a receipt of a frame
> with MMIE. So I tried a commad below.
>
> # ./hostapd_cli sa_query ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> But hostapd sent a plain text SA query request. Maybe because it was a
> broadcast request. Is anybody know how to send a frame with MMIE ?

BIP is not used to encrypt the frame, i.e., if you are looking for a
frame with MMIE, it will still be unencrypted.. Did you verify whether
the MMIE is included in the end of the frame? I'm assuming you have
configured hostapd to enable IEEE 802.11w and using a driver that
supports MFP in the first place since it is up to driver to take care of
BIP (i.e., derivation and addition of the MMIE to broadcast robust
management frames).