wpa_supllicant's nl80211 driver makes NetworkManager report 100 link quality for all access points

Dan Williams dcbw
Tue Apr 14 07:48:13 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 03:11 +0300, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My goal is to cut down to minimum the time it takes to connect fully to
> an access point.
>
> Due to that I want to use new and probably still unfinished nl80211
> wpa_supplicant driver.
>
> It works with NetworkManager quite well (I patched wpa_supplicant to use
> nl80211 when NM asks for wext)
>
> Except one thing: NM shows 100% quality on all access points.

What does the supplicant interface report for the BSSID's properties?
NM should prefer quality over level+noise, but NM may get the level
+noise calculation wrong, especially since the supplicant dbus interface
doesn't push the signal type (ie RSSI or dBm) through in the bssid
properties.

So there may need to be changes in both the supplicant's dbus interface
and NM.  But first, does the supplicant actually have 'quality' for the
scanned APs, or just level + noise?

Dan