funny behaviour of wpa_supplicant wpa_cli

Jaime Soriano Pastor jsoriano
Tue Apr 14 00:34:19 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 9:18 PM,  <ulrich.lauther at t-online.de> wrote:
> I use this script to connect to a wlan router:
>
> wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode managed
Is this line needed for your card?

> sleep 1
> iwconfig ath0 essid WLAN-001F3F68871B rate 54M
And this one? You don't usually need to associate if you specify the
ssid in the wpa_supplicant conf file.
Is it a hidden network?

> sleep 1
> ifconfig ath0 up
> ifconfig
> /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant -iath0 -c
> /etc/wpa_supplicant/speedport.conf -B
>
> dhcpcd -d -t 10 ath0
> dhcpcd -d -t 30 ath0
>

> This works most of the time, but NOT when I replace the first dhcpcd line
> by sleep 10.

Unless your wireless card has a strange behaviour, it should be enough
with those two lines:

 /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant -iath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/speedport.conf -B
 dhcpcd -d -t 10 ath0

Have you tried without -t option? and with dhclient ath0?

> Any ideas what's going on?

Not really, I couldn't reproduce it. What is the encryption of the network?

Best regards,

Jaime.