How to measure access delay?

Eduard GV eduardgv
Thu Oct 2 15:22:45 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I need to make time measurements of either access delay, or service time.

The first one is defined as the average time a frame is held in the
transmission buffer queue, measured from the time at which the DCF
frame is ready for transmission (i.e. CSMA/CA access begins) until the
actual frame transmission start time.

Service Time is usually defined as the time interval from the moment
at which a frame is at the head of its MAC queue ready for
transmission until it is successfully acknowledged.

My question is: do you think it is possible to obtain those
measurements through any hostap driver function?  or,...will I have to
eviscerate the hardware and use a probe and oscilloscope (nooOoOoo,
please) ? In both cases,?any hint on where should I start looking
into?

Thanks!

EGV