about "Open System" and "Shared System" Authentication Type?

Dan Williams dcbw
Tue Nov 25 06:41:59 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 17:21 +0800, c4linux c4linux wrote:
> Thanks for your help
> But i found that if I set AP with a password in an OpenSystem
> Authentication, STA can always connect the AP and access its
> resource , Why? OpenSystem Authentication need no password?

You have to separate encryption (WEP/WPA/etc) from authentication
(Shared Key/Open System).  For example, WPA uses Open System
exclusively, but it's more secure because it protects the communication
with a strong encryption algorithm.

Open System is used even in unencrypted mode (ie, no WEP or WPA
enabled).  But it can also be used with encryption enabled.

It's the _encryption_, not the Open System/Shared Key authentication,
that makes your access point secure more secure with WEP.  It sounds
like you've turned off encryption completely.

Dan