support question: hostapd does not recognize working interface

Pavel Roskin proski
Wed Nov 19 13:43:36 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 20:29 +0100, Alexander Huemer wrote:

> i think i know a little bit more now.
> it seems like the prism54 driver included in current kernels does not
> support something that hostapd needs.
> is that true?

It's entirely possible.  The drivers in the kernel are migrating from
driver specific API towards common API.

> i also read something about the nl80211 interface.

It should be supported by the newer p54 driver, which is mac80211 based.

> the ebuild for hostapd-0.6.4 (the rules to build hostapd on the local
> machine) says, that nl80211 subsystem of hostapd is disabled, because
> the current kernel does not yet support it.

I suggest that you use hostapd 0.6.5.  Distribution supplied packages
are nice, but at this point the AP functionality is too new to rely on
them.

> i am running 2.6.26, and 2.6.27 does not seem to support it either.
> on http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/patches/kernel/all/LATEST/ i did not
> find any related patches.
> does anybody know more?

The patches have been committed to the wireless-testing tree:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin