WPA Supplicant license

Dan Williams dcbw
Wed Nov 12 07:51:27 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 17:13 +0530, Fariya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to add up some proprietary features as a part of the WPA
> Supplicant. My question here is pertaining to the license. I know that
> the WPA Supplicant has BSD license and that I can use it. But I need a
> little clarification here: If I choose to use BSD license does it mean
> that the source code for my proprietary work (added on the supplicant)
> need not be made freely avilable?

Generally accepted wisdom holds that, if you choose the BSD license,
then you have the choice of contributing your source code back to
wpa_supplicant, or you can keep your modifications private and not
disclose them.  If you choose the GPL license, then you must make your
changes available in source form.

But be sure to check with a real lawyer if you want a real legal
opinion, as this is a legal matter and only lawyers can give valid legal
advice.

Dan