Passive Scannning

Kiran Kulkarni kiran.1267
Thu Nov 6 20:12:55 PST 2008

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 20:41 +0530, Kiran Kulkarni wrote:
>
>> In wpa_supplicant I am searching for a functionality where I will put my
>> system in passive scan which will only listen to beacons. And if
>> networks are available I should get some notification on D-Bus or Socket
>> interface.
>>

> On Linux, wpa_supplicant will only request probe-scans when you have
> "scan_ssid=1" in a network block.  Otherwise, it's up to the driver
> whether passive or active scans are used.
>
> You'll get a notification on the D-Bus interface when new scan results
> are available, not sure about the socket interface.
>
> Dan

But I found out that in wext we can set /scan_type/ field to
/IW_SCAN_TYPE_PASSIVE/ in /struct iw_scan_req/ and then make ioctl call
/SIOCSIWSCAN. /But I didnt know any method exposed to do such thing.

I agree that we get signal over D-BUS when scan results are available.
My question was that can we force the driver to go into passive scanning
through wpa_supplicant or we have to write seperate code to handle this
case...