Too many aps breaks wpa_supplicant

Peter Sanford pms.mail
Fri May 23 11:43:42 PDT 2008

I'm in a dense rf environment trying to use wpa_supplicant.

iwlist scan reports around 150 unique access points. wpa_supplicant
is failing with the following error:

Starting AP scan (broadcast SSID)
Scan timeout - try to get results
Scan results did not fit - trying larger buffer (8192 bytes)
Scan results did not fit - trying larger buffer (16384 bytes)
Scan results did not fit - trying larger buffer (32768 bytes)
Scan results did not fit - trying larger buffer (65536 bytes)
Scan results did not fit - trying larger buffer (131072 bytes)
ioctl[SIOCGIWSCAN]: Argument list too long
Scan results: -1
Failed to get scan results
Failed to get scan results - try scanning again

Is this a known issue? Can I configure the max buffer size for this
data?

I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 using wpa_supplicant v0.5.8.

Thanks for any help,
Peter Sanford