hostapd and encryption

Markus Ritzer fdsag
Tue May 6 00:47:13 PDT 2008

Dear list,|

I would like to set up an AP on an Atheros PCI WLAN Card that uses WPA
encryption. Everything works fine, but the network is also accessible
without any encryption at all.I use madwifi-ng|-0.9.4 and||
hostapd-||0.6.3.
What do I have to do so that only clients that know the PSK can connect
to my WLAN?

# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

dummy0    no wireless extensions.

tunl0     no wireless extensions.

wifi0     no wireless extensions.

ath0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"MARKUS"  Nickname:""
          Mode:Master  Frequency:2.452 GHz  Access Point: 00:19:E0:83:B8:48
          Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:18 dBm   Sensitivity=1/1
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=0/70  Signal level=-96 dBm  Noise level=-96 dBm

The hostapd config file:

interface=ath0
driver=madwifi
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=1
debug=3
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
ssid=MARKUS
macaddr_acl=0
accept_mac_file=/etc/hostapd/hostapd.accept
deny_mac_file=/etc/hostapd/hostapd.deny
auth_algs=1
wpa=1
wpa_passphrase=mypassword