WPA2 interoperability problems between hostapd 0.4.10 and wpa_supplicant 0.5.9?

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Mar 31 02:00:42 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 02:26:17PM -0400, Clem Taylor wrote:

> What I really don't understand is why this out-of-sync condition
> repeats continuously. Running 'disconnect' and 'reconnect' with
> wpa_cli doesn't seem to help. Likewise, killing off wpa_supplicant and
> restarting doesn't help. I have to kill off wpa_supplicant, wait
> several minutes and then restart wpa_supplicant and then it is happy
> again.

If this is out-of-sync in PMKID list, the same condition would continue
until the keys expire (i.e., quite long).. I would assuming killing
wpa_supplicant and reloading the driver at the client would clear this
if the problem was indeed in PMKSA caching.

It would be useful to get bit more verbose debug output from hostapd. If
you add debug=1 to the configuration file, the "WPA IE from (Re)AssocReq
did not match with msg 2/4" should be followed with hexdumps of the WPA
IE from AssocReq and msg 2/4. Those would clarify what the exact
difference here is.