Problem with acx111

Dan Williams dcbw
Thu Mar 27 04:15:58 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 23:44 +0100, Henning Moll wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am trying to connect via a PCMCIA-Card using a TI ACX111 chip. As the
> oss driver does not support WPA2 i use ndiswrapper in connection with
> the windows driver, which works perfect on the same hardware running
> windows (tnet1130, device 104C:9066). The oss driver (acx) is
> blacklisted.
>
> Both NetworkManager and 'pure' wpa_supplicant have problems to establish
> a connection: Most of the time it does not work: NM gives up after
> about 60 seconds while wpa_supplicant tries 'forever'. Then from time
> to time a connection is established and rock solid.
>
> As far as i understand the debugging output, the connection is always
> successfully established for a short moment:
>
> State: GROUP_HANDSHAKE -> COMPLETED
> CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:1b:11:38:90:ee completed (auth)
> [id=0 id_str=]
>
> But then there is something like a endless loop:
>
> State: COMPLETED -> 4WAY_HANDSHAKE
> State: 4WAY_HANDSHAKE -> GROUP_HANDSHAKE
> State: GROUP_HANDSHAKE -> COMPLETED
> State: COMPLETED -> 4WAY_HANDSHAKE
> and so on...

This is normal, the driver is periodically rekeying as required by WPA.
Periodically you have to do the 4-Way handshake again so you can derive
a new pairwise key, which is part of the additional security of WPA.

Is the issue here that the connection doesn't work with NetworkManager?
Because it looks like the log you've posted is OK AFAICT, with the
exception that sometimes the driver seems to return errors when trying
to set the PTK during rekey but then seems to recover.

Dan