Nokia E65, E51 problem and Solution - connection to AP with bridge, madwifi, and hostap

Sven Nielsen post
Fri Mar 7 05:08:17 PST 2008

Found the solution.

Problem was that Nokia E65 / E51 would associate with AP and everything
worked fine using _no_ encryption, but the phones were not reachable
when using encryption, although browsing and initiating calls from phone
was fine.

Solution was, of course, easy ;-), but not being a total network guru,
it took me some time to find the right parameters. Also, I first did not
think it to be a settings problem since using no encryption everything
worked perfectly, so I thought it was a bug using encryption. :-(

Solution:

To get Nokia E65, E51 (and possibly others) working, parameters
"uapsd" and "wmm" both have to be _disabled_ by setting them to zero
with iwpriv. This has to be done _before_ the phone associates with the
bridging AP. Changing these parameters while the phone was associated
did not (always) work reliably.

Also, I set rts very low to 250 and frag to 512 with iwconfig which
might also help with the bridging setup since the bridge-utils docs say
something about MTUs on bridged interfaces have to be same, but using
encryption, hostapd raises ath MTU to 2239 (while eth has MTU 1500).
Getting only small packets from ath might prevent bridging problems here.?

Kind Regards,
Sven