wpa_supplicant v0.6.3 loses connection, then reconnects to a different AP

David Ehrmann ehrmann
Tue Jun 3 20:56:00 PDT 2008

Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 03:01:06PM -0700, David Ehrmann wrote:
>> What do these info messages mean?
>>
>> "RSN: PMKID candidate event - bssid=xx:xx:xx:04:85:aa index=0 preauth=0"
>
> This means that the driver reported that there is a neighboring AP for
> the same SSID.

Strange thing... xx:xx:xx:04:85:aa IS the AP specified in my config
file.  Looking at my log, I see lots of these message bursts, all
separated by 60 sec (+/- a few sec):

RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=1 ifi_flags=0x11043 ([UP][RUNNING][LOWER_UP])
Wireless event: cmd=0x8c09 len=32
PMKID candidate wireless event: flags=0x0 index=0 bssid=xx:xx:xx:04:85:aa
RSN: PMKID candidate event - bssid=xx:xx:xx:04:85:aa index=0 preauth=0
RSN: Ignored PMKID candidate without preauth flag

Then, after the aforementioned ( http://pastebin.com/f491af16d )
sequence, my AP (xx:xx:xx:04:85:aa) gets added to the blacklist, and the
wireless interface ends up appearing unassociated with an AP when I run
iwconfig.

Is there any special meaning to seeing the event every 60 seconds, or is
it just some value used in the driver?  I'm guessing the driver
shouldn't be spamming wpa_supplicant with these messages, but is
blacklisting the current AP the right behavior?

Is it even the driver that's spamming?