build error with compat-wireless-2008-05-30 headers

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Jun 3 02:00:44 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 04:04:29PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> The thing it doesn't like is "__user".
>
> I guess you enabled USE_KERNEL_HEADERS in the hostapd Makefile.  I think
> the fix belongs to hostapd.  If it uses kernel includes, it should
> include a kernel compatibility include first, which should define __user
> among other things.

This seems to happen only with compat-wireless. When testing
USE_KERNEL_HEADERS against full kernel tree, I do not get this type of
issues. I added a workaround to driver_{hostap,prism54}.c to define
__user since that seems to work with both compat-wireless and full
kernel tree. Anyway, I would normally recommend not to define
USE_KERNEL_HEADERS.