EAP state machine question

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Jul 15 09:57:32 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 09:36:28AM -0700, Chuck Tuffli wrote:

> Sorry, I probably am using the wrong terms here and am confusing the
> matter. From looking at the code, I was hoping that getting the PAE
> state machine into the DISCONNECTED state would cause a disassociation
> from the current AP, scanning and (re)association.

PAE DISCONNECTED is not the same as IEEE 802.11 disassociation..

> The goal is that upon the completion of the EAP exchange, the EAP method
> sets the new configuration information (ie key management, protocols,
> etc) and needs the supplicant to disconnect from the AP and associate
> using the new configuration.

The easiest way to achieve this should be to indicate failure in the EAP
method and rely on the higher layer wpa_supplicant code to connect again
after a failed attempt.

> Setting sm->decision to DECISION_FAIL doesn't seem to cause this
> behavior.

You need to set decision to DECISION_FAIL and methodState to METHOD_DONE
to indicate failed (and completed) EAP method result. This expect the
AP/Authenticator to reply with EAP-Failure to trigger immediate
re-connection attempt (with whatever supplicant configuration is
available at that point).