Does wpa_supplicant work on Win98?

void@no.spam.com void@no.spam.com void.no.spam.com
Thu Jul 10 21:30:50 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 10:34:38PM -0400, void at no.spam.com
> void at no.spam.com wrote:
>
> > OK, I just downloaded wpa_supplicant versions 0.5.10,  0.4.11, and
> 0.3.11.
> > Got an error about PACKET.DLL, so I downloaded WinPcap 3.1 (latest
> version
> > that supports 98) to solve that problem.  I also downloaded
> > http://w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/qt4/wpa_gui-qt433-windows-dll.zip.
> >
> > When I try to run wpa_gui.exe for version 0.5.10, I get a "A required
> .DLL
> > file, QT3SUPPORT4.DLL, was not found" error.  That
> > wpa_gui-qt433-windows-dll.zip file only includes mingwm10.dll,
> QtCore4.dll,
> > and QtGui4.dll.  Where can I get QT3SUPPORT4.DLL?
>
> Qt3Support4.dll is part of Qt4 libraries and is likely available
> somewhere in the internet ;-). Anyway, I would suggest testing wpa_gui
> from 0.6.3 since the latest version should not need Qt3 support anymore.
>
> > Also, when I try to run wpa_supplicant.exe version 0.5.10, I get a "The
> > WPA_SUPPLICANT.EXE file is linked to missing export
> > ADVAPI32.DLL:ConvertStringSecurityDescriptorToSecurityDescriptorA." error
> > message.  Is it calling an API that is not available in 98?
>
> Sounds like that. This may end up being somewhat more difficult to
> resolve.. I would assume this is coming from WMI code and it might be
> possible to disable that for a test and rely on polling the driver for
> association data.

OK, I found a zip file containing QT3SUPPORT4.DLL, as well as the other
*.DLL files.

wpa_gui.exe versions 0.4.11 and 0.5.10 give me a "The WPA_GUI.EXE file is
linked to missing export QTCORE4.DLL:_ZN7QString16fromAscii_helperEPKci."
error.

wpa_gui.exe version 0.6.3 gives me a "The WPA_GUI.EXE file is linked to
missing export
QTCORE4.DLL:_ZN19QAbstractTableModel12dropMimeDataEPK9QMimeDataN2Qt10DropActionEiiRK11QModelIndex."
error.

wpa_supplicant.exe version 0.6.3 gives me the same error that version 0.5.10
gave me.

So it looks like version 0.3.11 might work, and 0.4.11 might work (without
wpa_gui.exe).