Can I have one configuration that can handle both OPEN and SHARED WEP authentication?

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Jul 5 23:52:19 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 03:53:00PM +0800, Lixin Song wrote:
>      I tried and failed. wpa_supplicant just use OPEN
> setting when I set auth_alg as OPEN & SHARED.

Are you sure wpa_supplicant did that and not the driver you used? If you
set auth_alg to OPEN SHARED, wpa_supplicant should try to configure the
driver to allow both authentication algorithms. However, not all drivers
support such configuration. With Linux wireless extensions, the driver
would need to support SIOCSIWAUTH ioctl to set IW_AUTH_80211_AUTH_ALG.
If it does not, wpa_supplicant falls back to using SIOCSIWENCODE which
allows only one (either OPEN or SHARED) to be enabled.

>      Maybe we can implement a logic in wpa_supplicant
> which try OPEN and SHARED one by one.

That would be one workaround. Though, it might be cleaner to extend the
driver to support setting of IW_AUTH_80211_AUTH_ALG and take care of
trying each algorithm there, not in wpa_supplicant.