WPA2 doesn't work with Nokia N810 (Conexant CX3110X)

branen salmon techlist
Mon Feb 18 13:21:46 PST 2008

Hi, folks--

I've been having some trouble using WPA2-PSK between my hostapd server
(with an Atheros chipset) and a Nokia N810 client (using the Conexant
CX3110X).  The client will associate with the AP just fine, rekeys
periodically as expected, and immediately registers the de-association
when I shut down hostapd.  Occasionally, I'll even be able to transfer
data over the link for a few minutes after the initial association, but
shortly thereafter, said data start disappearing into the void.  The
association is never lost, hostapd's logs show no errors, and the client
will still de-associate immediately if I shut down hostapd--I just can't
push a payload through the link.

I've noticed the problem with the Nokia N810 (running Maemo Linux and
using the CX3110X) and with the Nokia E70 (running Symbian and using an
unknown wifi chipset).  I've definitely not had the problem with any of
my other clients, all of which are running Debian and using Atheros
chipsets.  The problem is definitely related to the encryption--if I set
up a second, unencrypted AP interface on the same Atheros card, then I
can use the unencrypted AP without trouble.

I realize that this may not be enough information to really
troubleshoot, but I'm not sure what the next step in my information
gathering should be.  Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

--branen