Extends wpa_supplicant 0.6.2 to support IBSS mode

Christian Fackroth Proger
Tue Feb 12 08:19:13 PST 2008

Hi,

Jouni wrote in the mailing list:
>One part of this has been done already, i.e., it is now possible to link
>in authenticator code from hostapd into wpa_supplicant and then run both
>authenticator and supplicant functionality in the same process. The
>example code for doing this is in tests/test_wpa.c (make test_wpa).

>The next step is to merge test_wpa.c code into the main supplicant in a
>way that allows multiple authenticator and supplicant entities to be
>created dynamically (IEEE 802.11i/IBSS requires both functions to be
>implemented in each STA and there will be separate entities of each for
>all the connections between STAs in the IBSS).

>Final step would be to add support for some drivers to allow IEEE
>802.11i/IBSS to be used. This would involve both configuration (e.g.,
>suitable RSN IE into Beacon/ProbeRsp frames) and notifications (driver
>event telling wpa_supplicant that a connection would be desired with a
>given peer STA MAC address in the IBSS).

Some parts of step three I already finished. So I can send and receive encrypted
data between two stations in ad-hoc mode after successfull 4-way handshake.
For this I modified some parts in hostapd, wpa_supplicant and important
in the madwifi driver.

Now I'm working on step two merging hostapd and wpa_supplicant like test_wpa.c
it shows. First I add a new struct wpa to wpa_supplicant_i.h with two members
struct wpa_global *supp and struct hostapd_iface *auth. After this I change the
wpa_supplicant_init in wpa_supplicant.c in this way that it create the struct wpa.
Now I try to add the hostapd init functions in wpa_supplicant.c.
Am I on the right way? Or it is better to merge the wpa struct of test_wpa.c in
wpa_supplicant because it contains the basic functionality?
It will be also great if somebody have helpful hints for me or can help me to realize
step two!

Kindest regards,
 Christian