32bit wpa_supplicant with an amd64 kernel

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Dec 18 10:27:26 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:23:44AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> My wpa_supplicant refuses to work with my 32bit userspace Debian
> >> testing, when running on a 64bit kernel.

> >> E.g. instead of seeing a WPA network with an AP's hwaddr of
> >> 00:14:6C:D5:59:9C, it sees a WEP network with a hwaddr of
> >> 00:00:01:00:00:04.

> >> If it matters my WLAN card is a dongle using the rt73usb driver, running
> >> Debian's own 2.6.26 kernel.

> I don't have much time to devote to it, but if someone gives me a likely
> good starting place to try and debug the problem, maybe I can give it
> a try.

Have you verified whether this happens with the current kernel version?
Number of 64/32-bit compat ioctl issues were fixed relatively recently
and I do not remember when the fixes went in. I'm mostly running with
64-bit userspace, but the last time I tested 32-bit wpa_supplicant on
64-bit kernel, I was able to get correct scan results and complete
association. There are still some known problems, but they will unlikely
be ever fixed in Linux wireless extensions, i.e., 64/32-bit setup won't
support some notifications before moving to using the new configuration
interface (nl80211/cfg80211).