Sending ps poll maunally with hostapd

David Shwatrz dshwatrz
Tue Dec 16 06:21:47 PST 2008

Hello,

Thanks for your response; I took the wireless nic out of the machine
to avoid misunderstandings.

I am trying to send ps_poll to the hostapd AP.
Now, the AP is on wlan1 as you suggested:

my hostapd.conf is taken from the documentation:

interface=wlan1
driver=nl80211
hw_mode=g
channel=1
ssid=test
wpa=2
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
wpa_passphrase=12345678

I realized that I should do:
 echo "3" >  /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/hwsim/ps
to send a single ps_poll **manually** to the AP, and indeed now it **does**
reach the hwsim_send_ps_poll() method in the module.
However, I found out that it is not sent since the
client is not associated (namely, it exits in if (!vp->assoc)).

my client is the mac80211_hwsim on wlan0.
I tried:
iwconfig wlan0 ap 02:00:00:00:01:00 essid test
but I see with iwconfig that wlan0 is not assoicated
(wlan0 is the interface of mac80211_hwsim)

iwlist wlan0 scan **does ** find this hostapd AP.

I think that my problem is that I am not associated.

Is there a way I can associate to an hostapd AP using mac80211_hwsim
as a client? It could be that this is a silly mistake of me.

Rgs,
David